Sunday, August 05, 2007

Pappy

My grandfather died this afternoon. He asked my uncle yesterday what day it was and when my uncle replied, " Saturday" my pappy said, "Well, I can't die on a Saturday" and went back to sleep. I guess Sunday was the right day for this devoted Church of Christ man. I know that other people and even my own family members have faith and beliefs that support them during a death but mine was probably shaped much more by Thornton Wilder's, Our Town instead of anything I learned in church. I really believe that we will all be together someday and that my Pappy is finally getting to meet the mother he lost when he was only three months old. Even though I don't share in the belief of the christian reward at the end of of your life, the idea of coming back together with all who have gone before gives me hope and sustains me.

3 comments:

CaliforniaTeacherGuy said...

My condolences on your loss. Your Pappy sounds like a man who knew what was right and what wasn't: Saturday just wasn't his day to die! Blessings to you.

"Ms. Cornelius" said...

God bless you and your family in your time of loss. I will be thinking of you.

ms. whatsit said...

I know that the past couple of weeks have been very difficult for you. Hang in there.