Wednesday, January 31, 2007

In the footsteps of Giants

At the risk of alienation like the Dixie Chicks, I have been apologizing for George Bush for a while. I have always brought up the fact that although Texas did introduce our self-proclaimed edumacational president, we did also have Ann Richards and Molly Ivins to make up a little bit for NCLB. Having been born in the age of chanign roles for women, I was impressed early with the idea that Texas Women could kick political butt and serve you a delicious peach cobbler with vanilla ice cream to soften the blow. From my Mama Pat, my spiritual mentor Easter Shaw, political hero Barbara Jordan and continuing along with Ann and Molly, I have been deeply touched by larger than life women and have found grace and inspiration at times of doubt in myself. I hope I can continue the good fight like these women. I know I will treasure my copies of Molly's books and mourn her passing. Her grit will be missed.

1 comment:

"Ms. Cornelius" said...

I am completely in agreement ith you. Both Ann and Molly were national treasures and masters of the English language. I am completely mourning their passing.

God bless 'em.