Saturday, February 17, 2007

Death to TAKS'es!

At the end of the Fall semester last year, I had my students write an anonymous letter to me telling me what they liked, disliked, hated or just wanted to change. Overwhelmingly I heard that they didn't want me to mention the word TAKS again. They were right. I realized that I had begun prefacing many lessons with the admonition that "You will see this on the TAKS exam." What was I teaching them? Information on the test? How to bubble within an oval? I love teaching history because it is about people and the decisions made right or wrong. I hope my kids examine their lives and see themelves in some of these past events. I didn't go to school to learn how to proctor an exam. Who wants to retire with a plaque that reads, "Her students bubbled in the correct answers!!" I love what Alone on a Limb had to say about what we are teaching our kids. Death to TAKS'es!!!!

1 comment:

Mister Teacher said...

I know what you mean! I find myself starting the phrase, "You'll have to know this for the TAKS test!" And automatically adding on to it, "and in fourth grade, and fifth grade, and all your life!"